What it Means to Form and Operate a Nonprofit
Mission-driven founders of charitable organizations are visionaries. They see unmet needs and are driven to fill them. But decisions must be made on how to best capture the founder’s vision in an effective legal structure. There are several options to consider, all with advantages and disadvantages, and all with legal issues to consider:
For example, should the group:
- Become a tax exempt nonprofit?
- Work through a “fiscal agent”?
- Merge with an existing nonprofit?
- Become an unincorporated association and trust?
Additionally, existing nonprofits are often asked to become a fiscal agent or take over a newly formed charitable group.
- What legal ramifications should be considered before accepting this role?
Come learn about various options that are available to engage in charitable activities while remaining in compliance with pertinent laws and regulations.