Development Decoded: Real Estate Basics from Idea to Occupied
Real estate development isn’t rocket surgery. Nonetheless it’s easy to get lost in the tangle of terms and one-step-forward-two-steps-back process. If you don’t have a background in development but do have an interest and/or you’d just like to understand the basics better, this class covers the real deal on deals…from idea to occupied. As an added bonus, the atmosphere will trend toward fun and engaging…with immersive games and some (voluntary) role-playing involved. By the end of the session, participants will have increased understanding of the stages of the real estate development process, an appreciation for the intricacies and obstacles and familiarity with some key terms.
- Everyone leaves more familiar with the real estate development process
- Everyone gets a chance to participate
- Everyone gets more clear on constraints we operate under as well as chance to participate in some brainstorming/imaging in what might address them
- Everyone gets familiar with 20-25 key terms in real estate development
- Many mysteries of affordable housing/community development explained e.g. Why are there all these LLCs? Why do organizations seem to have a hard time doing small projects?
What We Will Cover
- The What – Understanding Key Terms/Concepts in RE Development
- The Who –Various people and players who make things happen and their roles
- The How –Understanding the Process and Timeline